Life’s Liturgy: “Wir danken dir, Gott”
Isn’t it interesting how certain pieces of music grip us and follow us throughout our lives? As a lover of liturgy, I welcome these key songs, letting them bookend chapters of my life. They are a testimony to the great Composer who is orchestrating all things for my good and his glory. The main piece… Continue reading
The Fruit of the Spirit in Worship
I have written extensively on singing as a scriptural mandate, as essential evidence and enforcement of the Holy Spirit’s ministry. For reference, please see my previous posts, “Four Reasons Your Church Should have a Choir” and “Preaching as the Choir”. Worshipful music (note that not all “worship music” is necessarily worshipful) must be practiced and… Continue reading
Publication – The Silent Carol
Recently, I had the joy of writing on my favorite carol for Deus ex Musica, a fantastic publication and resource for musicians, ministers, and students. You can read my article and listen to some beautiful recordings at the link below: https://www.deus-ex-musica.com/blog/2021/12/10/the-silent-carol Continue reading
During my time in the United Kingdom, I discovered that a large number of church musicians are not professing Christians. It was, perhaps, naive of me to assume otherwise, but I was shocked to find that many students at my university participated in church choirs while openly denying orthodox doctrine. I simply cannot imagine coming… Continue reading
Four Reasons Your Church Should Have a Choir
If you’ve read this blog at all, I’m sure you’ve noticed that I care deeply about choral singing, not merely because I enjoy making music, but because I wholeheartedly believe that singing together is foundational to human community and central to Christian communion. Singing together is foundational to human community and central to Christian communion.… Continue reading
Stand Out and Show Up
In addition to my work as an editor and church organist, I help teach choir at a Christian high school. This week, in place of regular classes, the school put on a conference (masks required!) during which multiple breakout sessions were offered. I was asked, because of my particular background, to prepare a session on… Continue reading
- Should we be Concerned that Using Music by Bethel and Hillsong is Contributing to our Culture of Immediate Gratification? On Patience and Using CCM Music in Worship
- “Lord, Lord” – A Poetic Reflection on Matthew 7:21-23
- Is Singing Music by Bethel and Hillsong Promoting Peace in the Body of Christ? The Answer is More Nuanced Than You Think.
- Rejoicing with the Truth: Does Using Music by Bethel and Hillsong Generate Genuine Joy in our Churches?
- Is it Loving to Sing Music by Bethel and Hillsong in Our Worship? Reexamining the Debate According to the Fruit of the Spirit Part 1