new years resolution
This Fear of Our Lord 2023
It’s popular now to pick a theme word for each new year instead of crafting a list of resolutions. As a lover of words, this idea appeals to me. And yet, the word I feel most drawn to for this year is far from the ordinary ones—joy and kindness, for instance. Instead, my theme word… Continue reading
Wasting Time Well
Each New Year, I make a list of resolutions. I wonder, though, whether this is energy well-spent; as much as I love lists and goals, I never fail to, well, fail. Even though I make some progress with each new year, I more often am left disappointed. As I mulled over a resolution for 2022,… Continue reading
New Year, New Journal…But how to choose?
One of the great recurring dilemmas of my life is how to pick the perfect journal. Honestly, when it comes time to shop for a new journal, it feels like going on first dates: there are some options that look good but are boring, some that are perfectly nice but no spark, and some that… Continue reading
A Lesson from a Hat
I remember Meg Ryan’s character in one of my all time favorite movies, You’ve Got Mail, saying of a wayward butterfly, “I believe he was going to Bloomingdale’s to buy a hat, which will turn out to be a mistake, as nearly all hats are.” I recently learned from a particularly unique hat that this is… Continue reading
- Ten Cheap and Instant Ways to Make Your Old-New House Feel Like Home
- Stop and Check Yourself. Are You Being Kind to People with Different Worship Tastes? Reestablishing the Terms of the Bethel-Hillsong Debate.
- Should we be Concerned that Using Music by Bethel and Hillsong is Contributing to our Culture of Immediate Gratification? On Patience and Using CCM Music in Worship
- “Lord, Lord” – A Poetic Reflection on Matthew 7:21-23
- Is Singing Music by Bethel and Hillsong Promoting Peace in the Body of Christ? The Answer is More Nuanced Than You Think.