Holy Saturday 2023
I wrote a poem for Holy Saturday 2022 and it was a great creative and spiritual activity, so here’s a poem for this year: The Light of the World has been dimmed but still I rise to switch on the lamp, open the shades, let in the sun —and wait The Bread of Life has… Continue reading
Hymn to The Reconciler
I worked on this sonnet throughout Holy Week but, as my organist schedule would have it, did not have a chance to revise and publish it until now. So, here you are: a short contemplation on the incarnate Christ. *(Forgive my limping poetic meter…I prefer to conduct my poems in a musical pattern rather than… Continue reading
Were You There?
One of my favorite Passion Week hymns is “Were You There?” I have formative memories of it being sung by a lone baritone in a darkened church, the haunting postlude to a Tenebrae service. Today, as I listened to the provocative question sung once more on a “Holy Week” Spotify playlist, I felt an answer… Continue reading
Cross Training: A Lenten Reflection
I am a runner and, although I’m not going to win for speed any time soon, I am satisfied in my steadily-increasing pace. As odd as it sounds, I credit much of this consistency to my shoes. A devout patron of Brooks, I am more than a little happy with my pairs of their “Ghost”… Continue reading
“Easter morn rose grey with fog”- A Poem for Easter Sunday, 2018
Easter morn rose grey with fog -anticipation hid- No dawn’s light to testify to what the Savior did. . Still we know and sing aloud of the Risen Son And yet the part that strikes me most was that on Friday done. . Rising up is natural; the sun never stays down. What is more… Continue reading
Tenebrae: a sonnet
Awhirl before my eyes did swirl the sparks As one by one the candles turned to smoke And sitting there in silent, stillest dark, A flicker burned within and I awoke. . I felt a pang for that dear body broke That bled betwixt time and eternity. It seemed I saw His image in the… Continue reading
- Should we be Concerned that Using Music by Bethel and Hillsong is Contributing to our Culture of Immediate Gratification? On Patience and Using CCM Music in Worship
- “Lord, Lord” – A Poetic Reflection on Matthew 7:21-23
- Is Singing Music by Bethel and Hillsong Promoting Peace in the Body of Christ? The Answer is More Nuanced Than You Think.
- Rejoicing with the Truth: Does Using Music by Bethel and Hillsong Generate Genuine Joy in our Churches?
- Is it Loving to Sing Music by Bethel and Hillsong in Our Worship? Reexamining the Debate According to the Fruit of the Spirit Part 1