In the middle of Joseph Conrad’s Heart of Darkness, I began to despair of first, the human condition, and second, ever actually finishing the deceptively-short book. I clearly needed a break- and some food as I had been reading for hours- so I decided to try my hand at a new recipe for lemon bars. After all, what is more cheerful than a nice, tart, lemon bar? And, even better, what is more in contrast to the “brooding gloom” of Conrad’s novella?
Anyway, I found this recipe and it seemed simple enough even for me, the girl who fearlessly plunges into centuries-old satires but somehow could not figure out whether “cook uncovered” meant to leave the lid off or not. Even more exciting, this recipe uses essential oils! I have recently been using Young Living’s oils for everything from headaches to moodiness to a broken arm and so I was anxious to see what magic they could work in the kitchen.
I was not disappointed! Not only was this easy to follow, they were so delicious that I have pretty much been eating them for dinner the past couple of nights and several people have asked for the recipe. Here it is and Bon appetit! 🙂
• 1 cup soft butter
• 1/2 cup powdered sugar
• Dash of salt
• 2 cups of flour
• 4 eggs beaten
• 1/4 cup flour
• 2 cups sugar
• 20 drops Young Living Lemon Essential Oil
1. Combine all of the crust ingredients and mix well.
2. Press into a 9×13 inch pan.
3. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
4. For the filling, combine flour & sugar.
5. Mix in beaten eggs and lemon essential oil,
6. Pour into the slightly cooled crust.
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
8. Let cool and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
(Store in refrigerator to maintain density.)
Leave a Reply